15 October 2005

Dim sum today never tasted so good. Of course, the fact that I was starving and had lost a lot of blood along the way could've had something to do with it. So just about 20 minutes before we're going to leave, I see a car pull in the driveway, and its Sue's (my boss) sister Di and her daughter Kasey (10). They decided at the last minute to join us, which made me sooooo happy b/c then Lily would bother Kasey in the car, not me, lol. Anyway, we all pile in Sue's car, and Acura MDX SUV. I get stuck in the way back, alone, which is fine with me. Well, on the way to Philly (about a 50 min drive normally) there was TONS of traffic, roadwork, and just plain retards driving. So it ended up taking us well over 1 1/2 hrs to get there. We were all tired of being ina the car and starving by that point. And to top it off, I get a nose bleed out of nowhere, incredibly embarrassing and gross. I had to use about 15 babywipes to get it under control (it reminded me of that time in Bangladesh in the rice patties--remember Kel?--and that guy tried to run me over on his bike). Anyway, that got under control and we made it. So at this dim sum are quite the cast of characters (aka Sue's family). Her parents, great-aunts, cousins (2 of which are mentally disabled), an adopted Vietenamese boy August, several other adopted Asian children that are now adults, and 2 gay male couples. They are so nice and a lot of fun though, so all was well. I ate lots of mystery food that I didn't even bother to find out what it was, I was too hungry to care. So we gobbled down the dumplings, noodles, and rice, then headed over to the super huge Asian grocery store. I wandered around, just amazed at all the crazy things. They even had live frogs that you buy by the pound! And tons of fish in huge tanks, just waiting for their impending death. After lunch, we went to Mary Alice's house, where we had a HUGE dessert spread--chocolate cake w/strawberries, chocolate cheesecake, pecan pies, some Jewish cookies, Halloween oreas, etc...so much yummy stuff. I also had some amazing apricot ginger tea. Anyway, once we left there we headed to a very ghetto part of Philly, aka Germantown, where Matt (aka The Golden Boy--the family's son) was working on a mural. He works for City Year, which is an Americorps program. He was in charge of painting murals on a beat up rec center in a very shady neighborhood. We were quite the bunch, all piling out of the SUV in our name brand clothes and fancy hair and nails (yes, I even dressed up for the occasion). I was just hoping I wasn't going to get shot in a driveby. I wouldn't let Lily play on the playground b/c the kids were throwing ROCKS at each other, as a game. Anyway, the Golden Boy actually did an amazing job at painting the area, very creative ideas. We dropped him off at his train and we headed back home. The drive wasn't as long this time, although we did have to make a McDonald's break for the kids. I got another nose bleed on the way home, so that was sucky. Not as bad though. When we got home I put Baylor's costume on him to show Kasey and Di, then I ended up hanging out with Sue and Jim the rest of the night. We just had a very yummy dinner of mussels with a basil sauce, a zucchini dish, and salad. So fancy and so good. I finished watching Alladin with Lily, then came back home. Its now 10pm and time for me to get to bed. I have to get up at 7am for soccer in the morning--in Staten Island. Wish me luck and pray for my safety! I'm sure I'll have more to say tomorrow after the game. Nite all!

2 Comments:

Blogger Jess said...

how come the only people who write comments are trying to make me buy or sell crap?

3:53 AM  
Blogger Jess said...

where are my friends???

3:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home